suggested reading on RDF and the Semantic Web

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:31:50 -0600
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
To: Mark Bernstein <bernstein@eastgate.com>

On Monday, October 28, 2002, at 03:04 PM, Mark Bernstein wrote:
> Suppose you were teaching a tutorial on RDF at, say, Hypertext '03.
> What would you assign for "suggested reading"?

Hm. I want to write my RDF textbook someday.

Hierarchies are evil. On the computer, we no longer need for each
object to only be in one place. Instead, we can put it in every
relevant place and find it by searching or taking intersections, rather
than hunting through a forest of folders.

  - The Future of Information, Ted Nelson
  - Mirror Worlds, David Gelernter
  - intertwingle, jwz
  - The Associative Model of Data, Simon Williams

Instead of putting unparsable HTML up on the Web, we'll use
machine-processable RDF. Instead of having web pages we can look at,
we'll have data structures we can pass back and forth. We'll have
another Web revolution!

  - http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-webdev
  - http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Semantic

Agents make statements, in the form of triples, each of which have
three parts (a subject, a predicate, and an object), each of which is
either a literal (identified by a string: "Hello, world!") or a
resource (identified by a URI: <http://me.aaronsw.com/>).

  - http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/Primer
  - http://logicerror.com/semanticWeb-long
  - http://infomesh.net/2001/swintro/