Re: Point of order re traffic

On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 14:45, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-03-20 at 14:22, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > e.g. please keep in mind that getting the last
> > word in an email thread is not the point; the
> > last word is in the document.
> > A rule of thumb I like:
> >
> > If a thread goes back and forth three times without
> > anybody suggesting textual changes to the document,
> > something's wrong.
>
> That's not a bad guideline, but insisting on that approach

noone is insisting; just giving a rule of thum
that has proved useful.

> makes it
> nearly impossible to question whether the document's intent is a good
> idea in the first place.

I don't see how intent is relevant at all.
Either the text serves our purposes, or not;
if not, then it seems reasonable to expect
folks to suggest some text that will serve.

> I hear painful echoes of statements like "The XML Schema Working Group
> will only accept comments which address particular details of the XML
> Schema drafts, not comment which question the overall approach."

Where does that come from?

> At least RFC 3205 is available as counterpoint to the discussion here,
> informing the discussion of the wide-open definition of "the World Wide
> Web" and point 2 of:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/intro

I can't figure out what you mean by this.
You seem to suggest that something other than RFC 3205 is
not available. What?