Re: Summary: Section 2: What does a URI identify?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 18 Mar 2002 09:46:28 -0600
To: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-archive@w3.org
[-cc www-tag; +cc www-archive; i.e. there's
not enough substance here to bother everybody
with, but you're free to show it to anybody
you like.]

On Mon, 2002-03-18 at 09:45, Mark Baker wrote:
> > If we use the same identifier for the organization and its
> > homepage, we can't tell them apart; i.e. we can't say
> > that the page was last revised at time T without
> > saying the organization was last revised at time T.
>
> Last-Modified is defined to be a property of the representation,
> not the resource itself, no?
>
>  "The Last-Modified entity-header field indicates the date and time at
>   which the origin server believes the variant was last modified."

that's contradictory... if a representation is a
bag-o-bits, then it's immutable, and last-modified
makes little sense.

But I'll try to think of a better example.