enforcing a "no harvesting for spam" policy

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: 12 Mar 2002 11:06:41 -0600
To: www-archive@w3.org
I thought of an enforcement mechanism: make a CGI script that takes the
requestors IP address and makes a mailto:$clientIP link and says

	This page is copyright W3C.
	We expressly prohibit the use of
	this information for sending
	bulk unsolicited email.

	In particular, we charge $350 for
	delivery of mail to _this mailbox_.

	Mail received in this mailbox will
	result in an immediate report of abuse
	to your ISP.

Then if we get mail there, we could track the spammer (or at least one
of their ISPs) by the IP address.

If the spammer identifies themselves in their
message, we could sue them in small-claims
court for the $350 and get a summary judgement.