Importing Definitions

From: Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:59:56 -0400
To: MURATA Makoto <mmurata@trl.ibm.co.jp>, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org, relax-ng-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

I've attached a (working!) xenc rng that makes use of the xmldsig rng. I'm
trying to re-use xmldsig's DigestMethod, KeyInfo and the anyThing:

policy:/e/2web/policy> jing xenc-schema.rng
Error at URL "file:/e/2web/policy/xmldsig-core-schema.rng", line number 318:
conflicting ID-types for attribute "Id" of element "RecipientKeyInfo" from
namespace "http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#"

If I change the definition of anyThing in xmldsig-core-schema.rng to have an
except for the xmdsig and *xenc* namespace:
  <nsName ns='http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#'/> <!-- added -->
and use interleave in the following definition

<define name="KeyInfoType" combine="interleave">
  <zeroOrMore>
     <choice>
      <element name="EncryptedKey">
        <ref name="EncryptedKeyType"/>
      </element>
      <element name="AgreementMethod">
         <ref name="AgreementMethodType"/>
      </element>
     </choice>
  </zeroOrMore>
</define>

The problem goes away. However, this isn't something I'd generally expect to
be able to do -- the xmldsig RNG would be standardized and frozen. My
solution (which is in the attached version) is to completely redefine
anyThing in the xenc rng's <include/>. This works perfectly, but seems
clumsy, is there a better approach?