Re: Problem with TDL (EVEN BIGGER ONE)

On 2002-01-18 22:41, "ext Sergey Melnik" <melnik@db.stanford.edu> wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> thank you for the clarification. In fact, your approach suggests a third
> original idiom, in which typed elements are interpreted as pairs (value,
> lexical representation). I'm going to accommodate this idiom in the
> datatyping document that I'm editing.
>
> However, under the above interpretation, your document [1] is
> inconsistent. The figures in 3.1 and 3.2 can only be consistent with
> each other, if literals (rectangles) are interpreted as pairs. This is
> fine, but you run into the issue that the interpretation of literals is
> context-sensitive (i.e. not fixed, but depends on the property that the
> literals are handing off). So, for example, the literals hanging off
> rdf:value are now also interpreted as some kind of pairs.

I'm not sure I follow you. The idiom requires that rdf:value has
a literal value. It is not a recursive idiom. You can't have
an anonymous node with an rdf:value that is itself an anonymous
node with an rdf:value....

Perhaps this is not specified clearly enough in the discussion
of the idiom. I will try to make that clearer.

Note though, that this is an issue with the idiom, not the TDL
model.

The separation from the TDL model and the idioms employed is
intentionally strict -- so that each idiom is simply a means
of expressing a pairing, and the pairing itself is the foundation
of interpretation.

> Furthermore, your scheme *does* require modifications the the present
> RDF graph model: it is based on untidy graphs, quite in contrast to what
> you claim! In other words, you cannot just merge two literals with the
> same content together (they might represent two different pairs,
> depending on the properties they are hanging on).

My understanding of graph tidying is that nodes with literal labels
and anonymous nodes are never merged. Only nodes with URIref labels.

Thus, you would never merge two literals. Every literal node (every
instance of a lexical form) is unique in the graph.

If this is not correct, then that's *major* news to me, and I'll
have to go back and re-re-re-re-read the MT and other relevant
discussions.

Thus, per my present understanding, TDL is based on tidy graphs,
and both of the defined idioms are valid for tidy graphs without
the problems you indicate.

Also, again, if it turns out that I am mistaken about the tidying,
it is only an issue of the particular idiom, and not of the TDL
model itself.

Regards,

Patrick