Re: the cite tag

At 13:09 -0600 2002-12-27, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>Whenever Mark or Sam linked to a story on another site, they wrapped
>cite tags around the name. So where you would write:

>religious sect that contends that space travelers created the human
>race by cloning themselves declared today that the first cloned
>human had been born."
>
>They'd do:
>
><cite>NY Times</cite>: <a
>href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">Some Article</a>. "A
>religious sect that contends that space travelers created the human
>race by cloning themselves declared today that the first cloned
>human had been born."

The problem is that it relies on the ability of the person who writes
to do it always in a consistent way, which is almost bearable with
one author and almost impossible in a multiple authors environment :)

and you can also do something like

<cite>NY Times</cite>: <a
href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">Some Article</a>. <q
cite="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">A religious sect that
contends that space travelers created the human race by cloning
themselves declared today that the first cloned human had been
born.</q>

I always thought that a mechanism was missing in HTML to associate
authors and sources (like RDF does).

Because even in my example you associate easily the title with the
citation, but you do not associate the journal in a unique reference
system. Add to that an author.

<cite>NY Times</cite>: <a
href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">Some Article</a>. <q
cite="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">A religious sect that
contends that space travelers created the human race by cloning
themselves declared today that the first cloned human had been

A reference system could have been, but not very practical:

<cite inref="art001">NY Times</cite>: <a
href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle" inref="art001">Some
Article</a>. <q cite="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle"
inref="art001">A religious sect that contends that space travelers
created the human race by cloning themselves declared today that the
first cloned human had been born.</q>, <cite inref="art001">Paul
Smith</cite>

Another way could have been

<cite href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">NY Times</cite>: <a
href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">Some Article</a>. <q
href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">A religious sect that
contends that space travelers created the human race by cloning
themselves declared today that the first cloned human had been
born.</q>, <cite href="http://www.nytimes.com/someArticle">Paul
Smith</cite>

:))) so much to do, the future has many things to come.

And talk about poetry ;) and the structure of poems and it's even wider :)

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
           http://www.w3.org/QA/

      --- Be Strict To Be Cool! ---