"Universal Document Identifier"

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 15:02:29 -0500
To: timbl@w3.org
cc: www-archive@w3.org

I just came accros your mention of "Universal Document Identifier" in
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Architecture.html ...

It seems to me that what is identified is not a document, but a shared
memory region, a virtual location where a document can conceptually be
stored.   Something very much like a file, actually.

So why not "Universal Filename" ?

I have a lot of trouble with this talk of URI's naming documents,
because a documents seem like static things.  Of course we get this
whole weird notion of "living documents" from this.

The popular web lingo seems to have gravitated toward the location
terminology: it's all about "visiting" "sites" with "addresses".
People have no problem understanding why they should keep their
advertised address constant; it's the idea of deep-linking (that their
site might be considered to be made up smaller, also-addressible
locations, even down to fragment ids) that hasn't, I think, really
sunk into the public consciousness.  (after all, a few clicks of
navigation isn't so bad for humans.)

  ruminatingly,
    -- sandro