RE: Noah Got CVS

Just so the other editors know, with Gudge's help I went through the cycle
of making a modest change (issue 357).  I might find a little time this
weekend, but mostly will be available to help part time Mon and Tues.  So,
I'll check in then.  If anyone wants help over the weekend, try the home
phone 1-781-860-0689 (9AM - 9PM East Coast.)  Thanks to all for the help &
patience.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142

"Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
08/23/2002 07:44 PM

        To:     <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "W3C Public Archive" <www-archive@w3.org>,
"Jean-Jacques Moreau" <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, "Marc Hadley"
<marc.hadley@sun.com>, "Nilo Mitra" <EUSNILM@am1.ericsson.se>, "Henrik
Frystyk Nielsen" <henrikn@microsoft.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Noah Got CVS

Noah,

I know we covered a lot of this on IRC and over the phone but here it is
for the record anyway.

Gudge

I'm on #xmlp-eds now if you want to chat in real-time

> Seriously, I can try to fit in a little editing over the
> weekend, and some more Monday and Tues.  However:  this is my
> first time trying, and having someone look over my shoulder
> on the first checkin or two would probably save trouble for
> all.  Here's about what I need to get going:
>
> * Pointer to files to be manipulated.  Which of the dirs are
> you working in at this point, and which drafts?  Does it
> change when Sept comes around?  I note the dirs are named by date?

All the files are in WWW/2000/xp/Group/2/06/LC

They will NOT move when September comes around ( if you ask me they
should not have moved when we went to LC but that's another story ;-) )

> * Quick rules for updating the files:  do I change status
> info or titles in docs for example, or does CVS do it all?

CVS deals with last modified dates. The docs you will be editing are

soap12-part1.xml, soap12-part2.xml and edtodo.html in the above
directory. These are already marked as editor's copies ( although they
still have the LC boilerplate )

> For deletions, do I leave the text and mark chg="del" or do I
> really delete it, etc.

Anything you 'remove' should be marked with a diff='del' attribute. This
attribute only works on certain elements so you may need to play around
to get the right effect. The main element I've put the diff attribute on
is <p>

> * Do I need to update the editors to do lists when making
> changes?  Where does it live.

Yes please. It lives at WWW/2000/xp/Group/2/06/LC/edtodo.html

Commit your edits using

cvs commit -m "Log message goes here" filename

Don't forget to do a cvs update before you do any edits just in case
anyone else has changed the docs ( CVS will deal with it using merging
if you forget to do this, but it keeps merges to a minimum if you
remember to update before all editing sessions )

> You get the idea.  Assume I'm clueless but willing to learn.
>  Lacking any
> such pointers I may not be online much this weekend.  Feel
> free to call the home number (1-781-860-0689) between 9AM and
> 9PM East Coast time Sat and Sun if at any point you've left
> info for me that I should look at.  Again, sorry for all the
> delays in getting "into harness".

Don't worry about it, being sick is a perfectly good reason for not
being available to edit, I'm just glad you are feeling better.

If you have any more questions feel free to call. My number is +44 7776
231 336. I'm flying to Redmond on Sunday and will be there until Friday
evening Pacific.

Gudge