Re: CWM Logic Namespace Change?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
To: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>; <www-archive+n3bugs@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2001 11:24 AM
Subject: CWM Logic Namespace Change?

> > # **** Warning: The N3 logic namespace has changed.
> > Take the '.n3' out!
> - [1] $Id: notation3.py,v 1.75 2001/05/15 21:46:00 timbl Exp $
>
> Do we really have to change namespaces [2], [3] on all the old stuff
> just because the old choice of namespace was inapropriate [4]?

Well, it is a pain, isn't it.  But in fact there are bigger changes!
Changing  <> forAll to this forAll for example.

> suppose that it wouldn't be as difficult if there is some tool that
> lets us say that these are equivalent. Still, this is all irrelevent
> anyway because the latest version of CWM (v 1.43) doesn't seem to want
> apply rules to anything...

That's probably because it doesn't recognise the variables (use "this")
or the log: namespace.

> To that end, I've archived some old versions of CWM/Notation3.py at
> [5] for the benefit of those who are just starting to get into CWM,
> but I think it would be neat if you could make the CVS archives of
> cwm.py and notation3.py public, as per the SW activity page:-
>
> [[[
> All code will be maintained in a publicly readable CVS repository
> [...]
> ]]] - http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Activity

I agree!  The problem is to sync the web site with a public repository.
I have it in the cvs repositpory whcih is protected but mirrored.
I think I should just move it and let hte web site get synched by hand or
something.
I agree with you.

> I think I remember something in "Weaving The Web" about the danger for
> the SW being if hundreds of people start creating SW engines in their
> garages, and don't document what they do...

:)  aye... well, true ...

> CWM is a *really* wonderful tool, and it's something that introduced
> me into a great deal of the principles of the SW, but if that's
> broken, then you are preventing others from having the same
> opportunity, unless they do a heck of a lot more background research.

It has gone though a big change just recently.  I'm sorry it is a mess.