Latin palindrome Sator ... Rotas

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:31:29 -0500
To: kahan@w3.org
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
Jose, I think you already found a translation of

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

but I forget what it was.  And my wife just showed me another one
http://www.signals.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=50&prrfnbr=5309802&cat_rn=1794823&subcat_rn=5289138&prod_rn=5309802

"Found in the ruins of Pompeii and a Roman colony in England, the
 world's oldest Latin palindrome came from the earliest Christians,
 who scratched it into rocks and walls during times of persecution.
 It reads the same forward, backward, up, and down: "The sower,
 Arepo, holds the wheels with care."

-Ralph