Re: Classes Considered Harmful

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 19:36:03 -0700
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, <www-archive@w3.org>
Classes are sometimes harmful.  Not always.  Let's try not to make
too sweeping of generalities here; as an example, it would be very
hard to use CSS with XHTML if the general belief is that "classes
are harmful."  Which means you'd get a lot of reflex negative reaction
from any experienced web developer who has found the use of class in
(X)HTML to be essential to producing any reasonable presentation.

Class is highly useful (and non-harmful) in XHTML, and you simply
can't build a complex XHTML+CSS user interface without it.  I think
it's the wrong message to send if we make blanket statements like
this, even if it's in the context of guidelines for building XML
languages.

--Kynn

Board Member, HTML Writers Guild                 http://www.hwg.org/
AWARE Center Director                    http://www.awarecenter.org/