Re: WebOnt Requirements - Summary

From: Jeff Heflin <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:56:43 -0500
To: herman.ter.horst@philips.com, dlm@ksl.stanford.edu, phayes@ai.uwf.edu, jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com, jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com, ned.smith@intel.com
CC: hendler@cs.umd.edu, www-archive@w3.org
Here are my votes and comments on the candidate requirements. Note that
in addition to the standard S(support), A(against), and U(undecided)
notation, I've added S-X for "support in general but believe its out of
scope of WebOnt."

R1. Shared ontologies		S
R2. Ontology extension		S
R3. Ontology evolution		S
R4. Ontology interoperability	S
	but only to a reasonable extent. some features may sacrifice
scalability

R5. Inconsistency		S
R6. Scalability			S
R7. Ease of Use			S
R8. Data Persistence		U
	Although I originally proposed this one, I'm not positive if I support
it enough to champion it.

R9. Security			S-X
	I think this deals with issues at layers above and below WebOnt

R10. XML Syntax			S
R11. Internationalization	S-X
	I think the issues that are in scope are covered by R4 and support a
mention of it under that requirement

R12. Ontology-based search	U
	I'm still not sure we have a group consenus on what this means, and
until we do, I'm undecided.

R13. Ontology querying		U
	same reason as for R12

R14. Expressiveness		S
R15. Proof checking		U
	Although this is the thing TBL always brings up, I'm still not
convinced that it is requirement, or even a requirement for some layer
after WebOnt.

R16. Trust			S-X
	I believe trust is essential, but I also believe it is cutting edge
research and out of scope.