Re: Minus signs in ids -- n3.bnf

Petr,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Petr Cimprich" <petr@gingerall.cz>
To: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@roads.org>; <www-archive@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: Minus signs in ids -- n3.bnf

> Tim, Sandro
>
> Thanks for the reply. The escaping is a good idea, but it doesn't work
> in both ways. I mean that "-" in XML would be mapped to "__" in N3, but
> it likely remains "__" if converted back to XML.

No, the mapping is 1:1 and therefore the inverse mapping would
have to be used the other way.

> However, it's still
> better than to exclude names with "-" completely.
>
> May be I'm wrong, but since operators are to be used as shorthands for
> properties and there is always at least one space between subject and
> verb, or verb and object, a hyphen in local names (something like
> "pref:local-name") should never be taken as operator. But it's quite
> possible I'm missing your idea of operators at all.

Well, what is allowed depends on how they are addedto the language.
Many people would find the necessity of leaving spaces around an operator
unnatural -- and therefore error-prone.

> Anyway, I see that my former suggestion to change alphanumeric wasn't
> necessary. Instead, the following change would apply to local names only:
>
> fragid ::= alpha alphanumeric* ;
> fragid ::= alpha ( alphanumeric  |  "-" )* ;

yes. that is what one would do.

May I copy this message to www-rdf-interest@w3.org, the RDF interest group?
Tim BL