Use of XMLspec for the specs generating invalid HTML

From: Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:19:07 -0400
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Mark Jones <jones@research.att.com>, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com>, Marc Hadley <marc.hadley@sun.com>, Jean-Jacques Moreau <moreau@crf.canon.fr>, Martin Gudgin <marting@develop.com>
Cc: www-archive@w3.org
All,

I just tweaked the mark-up of the abstract model[1], because the HTML
generated[2] was not valid.

The HTML generated for the spec seems to have the same problem. Here
are the two changes that I made:
- I defined spec/header/langusage/language:
    <langusage>
      <language id="en">English</language>
    </langusage>
  That way the value of the lang attribute for the html element is set
  to "en" instead of "", which is invalid.
- The XMLspec DTD allows lists inside paragraphs, which is not the
  case of HTML. I have reported this problem to spec-prod[3] in order
  to fix either the DTD of the XSLT style sheet.
  In the meantime, I have extracted olist elements from p elements in
  the abstract model.
  You should mind that in the SOAP spec too.

The HTML version of the abstract model editors' copy is now valid. I
haven't worked on the spec since I know that some editing is in
progress.

  1. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/08/14-am/EC-xmlp-am.xml
  2. http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/1/08/14-am/xmlp-am.html
  3. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2001JulSep/0017.html