Free Font Forms for SVG

From: Joseph M. Reagle Jr. <reagle@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:04:33 -0500
To: robert.wilhelm@freetype.org
Cc: "Dean Jackson" <dean.jackson@cmis.csiro.au>, www-archive@w3.org
Robert,

On your related projects page [1] you note a number of utilities that
convert from TT to other font formats. There is also a TT to SVG [2]
converter [3] which I thought I'd bring to your attention, but I primarily
want to ask you a question: I'm trying to collect a set of  letter forms (of
good "jobbing" and decorative quality ) under open licenses that we can
covert to SVG and then encourage people to use instead of bit mapped
graphics. Postscript [4] and Ghostscript [5] are obvious candidates, but I
haven't figured out the nuances of their licenses in this context quite yet.
Can you recommend any letter forms under a license that could be converted
to SVG and used on Web pages arbitrarily?

[1] http://freetype.sourceforge.net/projects.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/fonts.html
[3] http://www.steadystate.co.uk/svg/
[4] GNU Fonts: I'm unclear about the implications of font use under GPL?
(Does that mean any pages using such fonts must also be available under GPL,
or is this LGPL?)
http://softrak.stepwise.com/Apps/WebObjects/Softrak.woa/1/wa/displayPackage?package=133&os=10
[5] Ghostsript "free fonts" but unclear what the license as they are donated
from UWW++
http://www.math.usouthal.edu/docs/gs/Fonts.htm

__
Joseph Reagle Jr.