Re: Annotea Clients

Sebastian Dietzold wrote:

> quote Marja Koivunen (28.2.2005):

>> Sorry, I have been too deep in Mozilla/Firefox world learning xul,
>> javascript, xpcom etc. and implementing Annotea shared bookmarks
>> (http://www.annotea.org/mozilla/ubi.html). It has been a bit
>> cumbersome to update W3C Annotea pages but I'll do some updates
>> hopefully within a week. So let me know about links to Annotea
>> clients and servers. I know some interesting work myself that needs
>> to be there.
>

> Hi Marja, i've installed your Shared Bookmark Client prototype from
> http://www.annotea.org/mozilla/ubi.html on my Sun Solaris 8 machine
> inside the firefox 1.0 (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; SunOS sun4u; en-US;
> rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041109 Firefox/1.0) - its works fine and i think,
> this is the first annotation client who works with firefox.

Great ! Thanks for feedback.

> Am i right - at this time there is no support for annotation server?

Right now bookmark collections can be published to and read from Web as
rdf files.

I did some explorations with Annotea bookmark server with Eric P. long
time ago and Eric just put the bookmark stuff back so we are getting
back to it.

What I would like to have is to have the server working for bookmarks
and the rdf files working for annotations. I did HTTP PUT for the rdf
file but not many servers allow it so it has not been tested much.

And maybe someday I can combine the annotations and bookmarks and
implement the millions of other ideas I have had for a long time. But
one thing at a time :-).

> Do you have an idea - when this feature will be implemented?

No promises yet. Something experimental will be working hopefully soon.
I'm trying to do some debugging with Eric this week when he is
available. I think a bit additional design is needed here to do it
properly and I may need to do a bit more learning.

> Which annotation servers will be supported?

Hopefully this will be adopted when we have it working in one server.
The goal is really to be able to use any metadata server.

I'm planning to put this to sourceforge and cvs to be able to get some
help in case others are interested.

Marja