RE: email annotation

I share your concerns about different and incompatible annotation systems.
But I think that the W3C is doing a good job with their Annotea prototypes.
Furthermore, with XML and RDF it becomes easier to modify our own annotation systems
to talk to other systems.

When I asked about what kind of services you would like added on top of the basic annotation system,
I hadn't thought about threading and authentication.

This is mainly because I currently stay in scenarios where people create personal annotations.
I know that the Internet lets us easily share all these annotations, but for now I am more interested in supporting individuals. The approach I try is:
- first build a system useful to the individual so that it gets used
- then see what I can do with the generated data for a group of people

So when I asked about services on top of annotation systems, I thought about
- automatic classification
- easier retrieval
- ...

using the annotations you did on documents (e.g. web pages and emails).

If people have ideas, please let me know!
Laurent.