Re: Smart Browsing Providers

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:54:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: Gerhard Poul <gpoul@ccc.at>
cc: <mozilla-rdf@mozilla.org>, <www-annotation@w3.org>

Hi

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Gerhard Poul wrote:

> In http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/doc/SmartBrowsing.html Daniel Brickley
> mentions that it is possible to configure multiple Smart Browsing Providers
> to be displayed in the sidebar. - Unfortunately I haven't found any
> functionality like that in Mozilla 1.0-RC1. - Can someone please tell me
> where I can find that functionality?

I also mention that [[
pdated 2003-03-04 by danbri,
this page is currently somewhat out of date. Earlier Mozilla's used a
simple RDF Web service protocol to
acquire annotations for display in a browser sidebar panel. More recently
this has been implemented as an HTML sidebar with the "metadata to
markup" conversion happening serverside. Others have explored
implemented systems that consume RDF/XML clientside...
]]

ie. I think Mozilla SmartBrowsing as originally documented no longer
exists.

> I'd like to display information in the sidebar that depends on the URL that
> is currently displayed in the main frame.

I think a few folk have done this sort of thing. I'm copying
www-annotation (W3C's annotations list); someone on mozilla-rdf or
www-annotation should know more.

cheers,

Dan