Re: Using XPointer with HTML

From: Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:35:48 +0200
To: "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>, <www-annotation@w3.org>, "HTML WG" <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>
From: "Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com>
> > > Well of course you would, they're different documents!
> >
> > No, the same document, served with different media types. It is the
> > same
> > document, but the result of the media types means it gets parsed
> > differently.
> Can you have an xhtml1.1 document that is served as text/html ?

That is defined by RFC 2854. I believe you could manipulate an xhtml 1.1
document in a similar way to Appendix C of XHTML 1.0
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#guidelines) so that it would be acceptable to
a UA that accepts text/html. It wouldn't be XHTML 1.1 to that UA of course,
but it would still be an XHTML 1.1 document. (I'm not sure if this answers
your question).

> If not
> the point is of somewhat historical interest as we're talking about a
> subset of xhtml 1.0 documents are we not?

Are we?

I don't see the relevance of XHTML 1.1 here.

> > > However if the Pointer is
> > > xpointer(id('Moomin')) then it will happily point to the same element
> > > within the Resource (assuming the resources are appropriately
> > > authored and content negotiation on the document returned from the URI
> > > logical.)
> >
> > As I said, if the document has ids, the problem is solved.
> No it is not, by your argument
> http://jibbering.example/example#xpointer(id('Moomin')) points to a
> different fragment depending on whether the resource has an xhtml or html
> mime-type.

Aha. Apparently you misunderstood what I was trying to say. No. I didn't say
that. Ignoring the problem of permissibility of using XPointer to point into
HTML, the above would identify the same element. That was what I meant with
"if the document has ids, the problem is solved."

My point was about using child elements.

could identify different elements depending on the media type that the
document was served with. This is because the same document has different
parsings, dependent on the media type (text/html, or text/xml).

So if you gave the above pointer to someone, what they would see would
depend on the settings of their content negotiation parameters.

> perhaps rather than
> limit yourself to commenting on XPointer into HTML and the context of
> TBODY you could comment on all the issues raised - those are the ones
> that are actually concerning www-annotation and wai-er after all.

XPointer into HTML and the context of TBODY was what I was asked to comment
on, and I was fulfilling that request.

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton