RE: Using XPointer with HTML

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 01:13:09 +0100 (BST)
To: Marja-Riitta Koivunen <marja@w3.org>
cc: Laurent Denoue <Denoue@fxpal.com>, Steven Pemberton <steven.pemberton@cwi.nl>, Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>, <www-annotation@w3.org>, <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>, HTML WG <w3c-html-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Nick Kew wrote:

> > Also it is possible to add more info, such as a checksum, so that we know
> > if the documents have been changed or not.  It would be great if the Web
> > server could give us that information.
>
> A checksum is not particularly useful, because it will be messed up
> by trivial changes - e.g. a document that displays "todays date" but
> otherwise doesn't change.  That's why Jim and I are using smarter
> structural hashes to measure change.

I've just had email commenting on that.  I'll answer publicly to preempt
anyone else who might make a similar comment.

See
<URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2002JanJun/0076.html>

together with the messages referenced in it, and the thread that followed,
including
<URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2002JanJun/0098.html>

(Jim, did you post anything concerning your work after that thread)?

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>