Re: Annotea on windows

From: Matthew Wilson <matthew@mjwilson.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:05:49 +0000
To: Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes <ggrimnes@csd.abdn.ac.uk>, www-annotation@w3.org
At 17:45 27/02/02 +0000, Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes wrote:
>At 11:55 27/02/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>Greetings everyone,
>>
>>I have been trying to install annotea on a windows 2000 computer using
>>apache and mySQL.  I ran into a few problems (mostly with syscalls in
>>Perl) and I was wondering if anyone has successfully tried such a setup.
>
>This was discussed some months ago
>(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-annotation/2001JulDec/0020.html),
>the bottom line is that
>is isnt possible unless you want to rewrite large parts of it, and your
>best bet is to get a linux box.

I believe this to be an exaggeration.

I haven't got an annotation server running fully under Windows yet - some
bits of Perl make my home Win98 box crash, and I can only play with my work
WinNT box at lunchtimes.

But there only seem to be a few problem areas in the Perl code:
1. hard-coded Apache path
2. hard-coded temporary directory path
3. use of syscall to get the time to a resolution of less than a second.

3. is easily fixed by downloading Time::HiRes from CPAN.

Matthew