big hairy bug

From: Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:54:53 -0500
To: www-annotation@w3.org
and it's crawling up your database right now!

The annotest server is storing strings in a limited way that is
affecting annotations made with large annotation bodies. The initial
255 chars are used in an index to uniquely identify the database
entry.

The symptom is that a literal with the same first 255 chars as an
earlier string will replace the old one.

There is some code on deck for deployment that uses an MD5 which will
address the issue. (I knew about this problem, but forgot that the md5
stuff hadn't been checked in and deployed. - sorry).

I'll let you know when we get to deployment. It should be pretty soon.

--
-eric

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.