RE: Search engines vs. annotations

Hello,

1- if you have a list of annotation servers and you know their protocol, you
can get the list of annotations
2- if annotations are stored and published in a specific file format (you
thought about RDF-XML),
then a search engine could crawl the Web to find them: Google does that with
PDF documents
and Cora is a search engine to find research papers.
3- if annotations are embedded into Web pages (for example an annotation
would contain an XPointer),
then you would have to crawl the Web and get only those XPointers. Search
engines could easily do that.

I personnaly like the 3rd solution: it lets users embed annotations in their
current web pages: annotations
do not have to be stored on a server or in a separate annotation file.
Furthermore, you could send search engines the URL of your Web pagse
containing annotations so they can directly process and include them into
their database...

I wrote a small proposal a few years ago about using extended URLs to encode
an annotation
(see
http://www.univ-savoie.fr/labos/syscom/Laurent.Denoue/publications/TR1999-01
.pdf)

The idea was quite similar to what was also proposed later by Phelps and
Wilensky for robust hyperlinks
(see http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~phelps/Robust/papers/RobustHyperlinks.html)

I can see uses of requesting annotations left by people on a specific text
in a Web page (like a book you are about the buy on Amazon.com). What were
you motivations? Do you have usage scenarios in mind?

Laurent.