Re: Instructions for Installing Annotation Server for NT

At 10:14 06/11/01 +0000, Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes wrote:
>At 10:02 05/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>What's the current status with this? I just tried with the latest versions
>>from the CVS
>>archive and I'm getting this problem with syscall.ph too (on both NT and
>>2000).
>

>Sean,
>
>I struggled with this for a few weeks, and eventually gave up,
>Annotea is not written to work with Windows and uses several linux only
>features, such as the syscall things...
>
>The syscall in question is used to obtain a high-resolution timestamp for
>the debug files, it is not essential for normal operation ( I think ) and
>if you are happy to live without debug info you can change the following
>lines in annotate (around line 172 in my file, but could have changed if
>you have fresh sources from the CVS):
>
>     $query = new W3C::Util::W3CDebugCGI($0, $ARGV[0] eq 'DEBUG',
>                                         {-dieNoOpen => 1,
>                                          -logExt => '.log',
>                                          -storeIn => '/temp/logs',
>                                          -rerun => 'w3c_rerun',
>                                          -mergeQueryAndPOST => 1});
>
>Add    "-noStore=>1" somewhere in the parameter string and annotea will
>newer write the debug information file, and never need syscall.ph.
>Alternatively you can replace the timestamp with a low-res timestamp (1s)
>using the built in perl time() command.

There is a better way, using the Time::HiRes module available from CPAN,
which is the portable way of doing this. It requires one or two other
modifications (I think you have to remove a pack/unpack), I can give more
details of this if you want.

Matthew Wilson