Re: access problems

At 06:49 AM 8/2/2001 -0400, Paul Denning wrote:
>I tried to submit the form for access [1], but received an error:
>Access to "/etc/apache/conf/users" failed. No such file or directory
>
>Can someone look into this error?

Oops, it looks like Eric's new code for supporting more parameterization
of access databases leaked out into annotest.w3.org too soon.

I looked at this for a bit, thought I saw the problem, but failed
in my attempt to fix it.  So we'll have to wait for Eric to get off
a plane to look at it.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

>Also, policy [2] states
>User groups: Everyone can read annotations stored in this service. Anyone
>with an acceptable access id and password can post new annotations to the
>service. The following user groups have acceptable id's : (1) users with
>existing W3C member access password and identification, and 2) anyone with
>e-mail address that obtained a temporary identification from W3C id server.

bigger oops; it looks like we didn't actually describe the policy
we implemented on annotest.w3.org.  At present, even read
access requires an id.

>Is there a way to read annotations on annotest.w3.org without either (1) or
>(2), as suggested by "Everyone can read ..." above?

We are likely to change the access policy for annotest.w3.org
to permit read without supplying credentials but for right now
(2) is required.

>My W3C member access password does not work.  Am I correct to assume that I
>still need to submit the access request even though I have a W3C member
>account?

For now you will have to obtain a second id.  We don't yet have
enough infrastructure to share authentication credentials between
annotest.w3.org and www.w3.org conveniently.  We're working on it
(part of Semantic Web Advanced Development) but it's not yet there.