Re: Backlash vs. Third-Party Annotations from MS Smart Tags

From: Jon Garfunkel <jgarfunk@genuity.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:24:19 -0400
To: <www-annotation@w3.org>
At 02:15 PM 6/20/2001 -0500, Wesley Felter wrote:
>I think it's going to happen. Check out these posts for a sample of how
>the winds are blowing (I've seen half a dozen similar ones):

Winds are blowing? I would say hot air is blowing. Who would sue? On that
very same discussion group, a more cogent argument is presented which just
strips down the anti-SmartTag sentiment to anti-Micrsoft. I can't explain
why the SayNoToThirdVoice group still has the problem with graffiti.

> http://www.farces.com/farces/992816200/

This makes some claim about "unauthorized derivative work". Anyway, we can
blow all the steam we want about what the legal ramifications are. Wendy,
and other lawyers, a general question: do academic law programs (such as
Berkman Center) do any research preperation in anticipation of legal
conflicts? I remember that Jonathan Zittrain at Berkman had quite
supportive of annotation when ThirdVoice came out with the software and
starting getting flack.

I have some interesting work that I hinted about before regarding
server-side annotation/collaboration. I will definitely have more to
present in a few weeks-- I can only hint for so long! Given the choice
between publisher-managed and third-party-managed annotation, I'm betting
that most publishers would choose the former.

Jon Garfunkel .......................... phone 781-262-4797
Software Engineer ...................... Burlington Office 25/2020E
VPN Advantage .......................... http://vpn-eng.bbn.com/~jgarfunk
Genuity. Do you want to change the world?