Re: changing annotation types under Amaya

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:59:03 -0400
To: jose.kahan@w3.org, Tim Moore <fctmoore@hkusua.hku.hk>
Cc: www-annotation@w3.org
At 12:24 PM 5/14/2001 +0200, Jose Kahan wrote:
>The annotation and annotation types RDF schemata are currently stored in the
>Amaya/config directory under the names annotschema.rdf and annottypes.rdf.
>
>As we can't yet dynamically download schemas from the web, we have another
>file called annot.schemas that tells Amaya the filenames where we stored
>the annotation schemas.  This file is also under Amaya/config/

Some further clarification:  Amaya does not yet dynamically
load RDF schemas from the Web.  It loads only the schemas listed
in Amaya/config/annot.schemas (SMOC - small matter of coding).

But Amaya will load schemas from the Web if annot.schemas
tells it to do so.  For the two namespaces
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns# and
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotationType# we cache a local
copy of the schemas.  These are the first two files Jose is
referring to.  It is legitimate to cache a copy of an RDF
Schema as http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-rdf-schema-20000327
says that once you publish a namespace name you should not
change the contents of the namespace.

>I add the following line to the end of annot.schemas:
>
>http://www.w3.org/2001/05/MyTypes# $THOTDIR/config/mytypes.rdf
>
>Then I'll add a new annotation type called "kudos" in mytypes.rdf:

note that, per the comments in annot.schemas, if you just put
http://www.w3.org/2001/05/MyTypes#
(without a second field) into that file then Amaya will attempt
to read the schema from the Web.

-Ralph