Re: Types of annotation

Hi Ralph, Phil.

Phil and I have been talking about this, and I think his
point also has further ramifications about what an annotation as
described in my simple annotations schema should look like, which I
hadn't noticed before.

Here's part of the W3 annotation schema:

[]----type---[annotation]
  ----annotates----[http://whatever]
  ----body----"some literal text"

and part of the one I've been using

[]----type---[annotation]
  ----annotates----[http://whatever]
  ----title----"Whatever"
  ----description----"some literal text"

In my simple annotations system, I regard the title and description
as referring to the annotated document, i.e. something like 'the
annotator says that the title of http://whatever is "Whatever"'. But
actually (I belatedly realize) this structure implies that the title is
the title of the annotation.

What we're trying to do is to associate either:

some data or
some metadata

with a document. By which I mean, there are two cases, one where you're
associating two documents in a particular fashion (like typed href - see
for example Dan Brickley's nodes and arcs document
http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/). This may be essentially the
same as associating metadata with a document - as Phil and I have been
doing by creating anonymous nodes and content that only exists in a
database, in the sense that there is some description of the annotated
document, and this forms the annotating document, like the value of the
body property in the W3 schema.

However, I was trying to be more specific than saying this document
annotates this one - I was trying to say that document A says that
the appropriate audience of document B is adults only, for
example. As Phil says, we're trying to associate detailed metadata with
document A, the annotation, _about_ document B.

to do this, I think we need a structure like this:

[]----type---[annotation]
  ----annotates----[http://whatever]
  ----assertsThat---[]
		 ---subject----[http://whatever]
		 ---predicate--audience
		 ---object----"adults only"

rather than use my simpler example above, which means something
different altogether.

The W3C annotations schema avoids this problem by not specifying the
content of the annotation in a marked-up format, which is fair enough,
but I know Phil needs something like a catalogue record instead.

I hope this doesn't belabour the point too much - I'm finding it a bit
tricky to get my head around this.

cheers,

Libby

p.s.: