http://www.w3.org/Collaboration/#implementations

On Sat, 2 Sep 2000, Ilia Ovsiannikov wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>   I just discovered this mailing list (thanks Julie!) and wanted to let you know about one more Annotation system. It is called
> Annotator; developed in 1998 at USC under Annotation Technology project. The URL is http://www-hbp.usc.edu/Projects/annotati.htm
> Also, a paper about that system contains an extensive review of existing annotation software (up to 1999).

Thanks for the link! I've added this to the recently-revived WWW
Collaboration page, http://www.w3.org/Collaboration/#implementations

BTW I've also reorganised that page somewhat (it was several years out of
date), with a goal of making it lower-maintainance. The earlier distinction
between collaboration, annotation and KR systems (which reflected the
Working Group structures of the time) has been collapsed
somewhat.

I'll do my best to keep track of annotation/rating/shared-kr tools that
people mention on this list, though can't promise to being anywhere near
comprehensive in such a fast growing area. I'd like to link to other more
actively maintained hubs of interesting/useful links on annotations and
metadata services -- URL suggestions welcomed.

One concern I have is the overlap with other resources maintained on the
W3C site, especially the PICS and RDF home pages. I'm trying to figure out
a way of smushing together newsitems from multiple such pages so we could
derrive an aggregated view of stuff added to each of these pages. Maybe
more on that another time...

Anyway, the 'implementations' section, ie.
http://www.w3.org/Collaboration/#implementations is definitely open for
business. I'm collecting links on "Annotation, Metadata and Rating
Services", in the hope that these might inspire some cross-project
collaboration on data exchange issues, and perhaps discussion on the
business models and social/legal issues that are faced by those running
Web annotation and metadata services.

Dan