Re: defining mediator

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Daniel LaLiberte wrote:

> I don't know about the others (I haven't been keeping up) but HyperNews
> allows you to reference an arbitrary public website which is used as the
> "base article" for a forum.  As an example, see:
> http://www.hypernews.org/HyperNews/get/w3c.html.

Very interesting!  Thanks, i didn't know HyperNews could do that.

> Instead, I
> had hoped people would install their own copies of HyperNews, and that
> has worked reasonably well.  Most people just want the forum features
> regardless what is at the top of the forum.

Indeed.  As a threaded discussion mechanism, HyperNews excels, and
CritLink pretty much sucks.  (I suspect CritLink would suck much
less if i just added an article index view, which i don't think
would be too hard.)

> HyperNews does that, but it is easy if you don't have to embed
> annotations.  Another optimization (supported by HyperNews) is to make
> use of a cache of the pages being annotated.

Yup.  You are right.  When HyperNews operates on a remote page this
way, it is indeed a mediator.

-- ?!ng