Re: about CritLink and annotation systems in general

From: <ping@lfw.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 11:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
To: Jon Garfunkel <jgarfunk@bbn.com>
cc: www-annotation@w3.org
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Jon Garfunkel wrote:

> Mind your jargon.
>
> Your "back end" is commonly known as an "annotation server."
>
> Your "local proxy" is commonly known as... well, we still don't have a
> name.

Yes, we do.  The name is "mediator" (1995).  A "proxy" is something
which attempts to transparently stand in place of the thing it is
serving for.  Its goal is to mimic the original thing exactly.  A
"mediator" is something which stands in the middle and attempts to
produce an augmented or processed variant of the original.

So, the term for Crit is a "remote mediator".  The term for what you
are talking about is a "local mediator".

-- ?!ng