Re: about CritLink and annotation systems in general

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Karen MacArthur wrote:

> I'd like to start collecting material for the W3C
> collaboration/annotation web site.  If people send me pointers to
> their research, perhaps with a short abstract, I'll start putting them
> together and forward it to Dan LaLiberte at W3C.

Ack! The page is still in need of an update.

I think what's most scalable for this type of effort is for each
annotations developer to summarize their system using agreed-upon XML/RDF
fields. This would be a nice way for XML to help us do distributed work,
not sure if any other W3 group has taken the lead on this.

I've conceived of some names for feature categories. Please give me an idea
what you think of them.
(http://look.boston.ma.us/garf/webdev/annote/software.html)

Note that many people have sent in comments on this page regarding my
charecteriation of their software. I have been able to make updates, but
clearly, wouldn't it be easier to use a distributed XML model?

Some people expressed interest via private email in a Boston-area workshop.
I'm still looking for assistance on how to put this together.

At 02:24 PM 8/27/1999 +0200, Laurent Denoue wrote:
>It works like that in ThirdVoice, although I don't like the fact that you
>need to send even your private annotations to the ThirdVoice server.

I was just recently inspired to run a traffic sniffer over a 3V connection
to find out what the protocol is, and then work towards cloning a server.
IIRC, reverse engineering is still legal in these parts...

Would anybody be interested in helping?

I'll get to LD's ideas about XPointers in a separate email.

Jon
GTE Internetworking /Powered By BBN/ ......
Burlington, Mass ...........