Re: Automatic annotation with RichLink Author

At 11:48 AM 5/20/1999 -0400, Steven Epstein wrote:
>I invite members of this group to take a look at RichLink Author, a new
>authoring tool that allows multilevel annotations of words or phases.

I. Good ideas.

Can I describe the type of annotation used here as "dictionary-based": it
looks each phrase in reference database. Many instances of the same phrase
can share the same annotation. Compare with with {critLink, ThirdVoice}
which are based on context/position which there have unique annotations.)

I recall Martin Duerst briefly noting a similarly-featured dictionary-based
translator plug-in at the w3c track at www8. (I could not find it listed at
the w3 site under slides for this particular set of presentation.)

II. Some observations about the architecture:

1. RLF, the document format used by RichLink, does not appear to be based
on HTML/XML-- it is a binary format with an openly defined format.
2. The RichLink architecture suggests a database to store needed
definitions. It is not clear whether (A) the needed definitions come with
the document, or whether they are (B) installed on the client, or (C) on
any server, or (D) on the Sentius root server only. A nice touch is that it
appears that the client can get definitions from more than one reference
dictionary.

In my opinion, interpreting WWW philosophy, standards:

#1 doesn't fit well with the www model.
#2 should support, in order C,B,A.

III. Also, I was wondering if my nomenclature is on the right path:

a. dictionary-based vs. position/context-based ?

Jon

"And on the eighth day, He found the README file..."

Jon Garfunkel .......................... phone 781-262-4797
Software Engineer ...................... Burlington Office 25/2020E
VPN Advantage .......................... 	https://nes-web/people/jgarfunk
GTE Internetworking /Powered By BBN/ .....................................