Re: Yawas : new Web annotation system

From: Rolf H. Nelson <rnelson@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:44:32 -0500
To: ping@lfw.org
CC: Laurent.Denoue@univ-savoie.fr, www-annotation@w3.org, critters@crit.org

    > On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Laurent Denoue wrote:

    > | All the data can be encoded in an extended URL.  For instance:
    > |
    > | http://www.yahoo.com?note=selected%20text&date=1999-02-25& |
    > author=laurent&type=ok&comment=you...

    > This syntax you have chosen appears to collide with the current
    > syntax for submitting form fields in a GET request.  Have you
    > considered the potential conflict that occurs when attempting to
    > annotate pages that are the result of a query?

I too would recommend you use a different syntax then your "extended
url" syntax.  Using something like

   http://localhost:3128/http://www.yahoo.com?note=selected

Has the disadvantage that this "extended url" is not a valid url,
according to the url standard.  This means there is no guarantee that
future browsers will be able to handle extended url's.

Therefore at the very least you will want to escape any invalid characters
using the %xx notation.

-Rolf