Re: barriers to deployment of web annotation?

From: Elizabeth Frank <efrank@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 08:53:05 -0600
To: www-annotation@w3.org
At 12/9/98 , Jakob Hummes wrote:
<snip>
>I still think that scalability is the main reason that no such system
>exist.  Probably you'll need a combination of Web caches (or other
>proxies) and multicast (or NNTP) for synchronization and updating
>annotations.

I disagree.   I think that the annotation needs are being met in other ways.
For related topics there are forums, hypernews-like systems, related link
pages and web rings.  There are even seal of approval time type annotations.
The only annotations that aren't supported are the third party review type
which doesn't involve the primary site.  As others in this thread have mentioned,
there doesn't seem to be a high enough demand for that type of annotation
to get past the scalability and content value issues.

I have trouble coming up with a scenario that requires the third party annotation
services you are talking about.

-Beth Frank

--
Elizabeth Frank