Social impact of annotations?

From: Rolf H. Nelson <rnelson@tux.w3.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:42:43 -0500
To: www-annotation@w3.org
(This list has not been very active lately; let me know if discussion
of Web annotations has migrated to a different forum and I can repost
my question there.)

What, if any, will be the social impact of widely deployed third party
Web annotation technology?  By third party I mean annotations that do
not require the cooperation of the original Web Site provider.  So for
example, I would not consider a link that a Web Site puts up to a
hypermail discussion list to qualify as third party annotation.  In
contrast, I would consider Netscape's Related Links functionality to
be a kind of third party Web annotation.

-Rolf