Re: a comment about paper

Leslie,

You raise a very interesting point:

>Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:04:24 -0230
>From: Leslie Cuff <lez@fastfwd.com>
[...]
> Another missing piece of the puzzle is... what if the underlying (host)
>resource changes after a set of (parasitic) annotations have been applied
>to it... and what if the changes are so drastic that the context of the
>original annotations are lost. Obviously it is the right of anyone
>to change any URL response at any time (or is it???), but wouldn't
>you like to be able to keep your snarky comments in line with the
>host resource? This is screaming for some sort of notification
>system which has knowledge of the web of annotations and the
>responsible authorities for each one.

We're doing some work that might help for this problem, at least within the
context of a single group.  We're developing support for a notification
system based on the Athena Zephyr system.  Basically for our purposes this
support multicasting lightweight notices within a cell/realm/<whatever>.
So far we've integrated it with our Mediator system for controlling and
tracking access to a group's shared web space.  I hope to be able to
integrate it with our group annotation system sometime in the future; then
we should be able to provide notification in both directions--writer's of
annotations can be notified if the annotated document changes and document
owners/authors can be notified if their document is annotated.

W. Scott Meeks           |
Open Group Research Inst.| "That government governs best which governs least."
meeks@osf.org            | - Thomas Jefferson
(617) 621-7229           |