Re: Amaya: call for relauching the project ?

Hello,
As I said before, I've ask to Apache Incubator if and how Amaya could be resurrected inside Apache project.
Here is the answer:

Apache doesn't "help" projects - we just provide a neutral space for
projects to exist.
If you and a few others are willing to continue Amaya development
here, and you have a way to get to code donated to the ASF that's in
line with how the Incubator works - but you'll need to first form the
group that will work on the incubating project.

Then, if a small team of people (developers) would like to work on the Apache code, and if it is possible to donate the code to Apache, then, Amaya ressurection might incubate into Apache Incubator environnement.

Antoine

Le Jeudi 20 mars 2014 11h10, Laurent Carcone <laurent@w3.org> a écrit :
 Le 19/03/14 11:24, "Martin J. Dürst" a écrit :
> Hello Antoine,
>
> On 2014/03/19 18:21, HiddenId wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> If you like using AMAYA as I Iike it, shouldn't we try to relaunch
>> its long term development, particularly, making AMAYA running better
>> with current and future version of web browsers ?
>>
>> For sure, we know that neither W3C nor WAM INRIA deploy resource for
>> AMAYA any more. As specified on AMAYA home web page "the
 application
>> was jointly developed by W3C and the WAM project (Web, Adaptation and
>> Multimedia)
>> at INRIA. It is no more developed."
>> However, if many of us email to W3C and INRIA decision makers, our
>> encouragements to decide to
 maintain AMAYA as a permanent project to
>> develop, should this have an positive impact for relaunching the
>> project with permanent allocated resources ?
>> Would this help
 to relaunch AMAYA development ?
>> Freely,
>> Antoine
>
> Sorry to not be of much help, but please let me explain the situation
> as far as I understand (as a former member of the W3C team).
>
> I like Amaya very much, too, and would be really delighted if
> development would continue (restart). A student of mine about a year
> ago also worked on adding HTML5 support to Amaya, her code is
> available at https://github.com/ezura/Amaya/. There also seem to have
> been others working on the code, see
> https://github.com/w3c/Amaya/network or search for 'Amaya' on github.
>
> However, unfortunately, it's not just that the Amaya project at INRIA
> is closed, but that its main developers and backers are retired. So
> there's nobody at INRIA in a position to push Amaya development. Also,
> INRIA being a research institution, simply adapting Amaya to newer
> browsers may not be such an attractive project.
>
> Anybody is of course very welcome to continue to work on Amaya,
> because it's all open source!
>
> Regards,   Martin.
>

> Hi,

> Thank you all for your support.
> Indeed, INRIA stopped to support Amaya (and stopped to host us too :)),
> and W3C won't relaunch the project.
> Some months ago, I created a github repository [1] with Amaya source
> code so that it is more visible in the open-source community.
> I recently created an other github repository including the whole cvs
> history [2] to preserve the history of the project as the cvs server is
> running on an INRIA'a machine.

> Relaunching Amaya would require a great investment, in particular it
> would be necessary to separate the editing part and the rendering part
> to use an existing rendering engine like Gecko. It's a huge work but it
> would facilitate further developments and the adoption of the project by
> the open-source community.

> I'd like to thanks Martin and Yuka for their work on HTML5 support [3],
> I had a look at their project and it is
 promising.