Re: Amaya design

Daniel Hernández a écrit ce qui suit, le 28/12/11 21:48 :
> Today some people convinced me that CompoZer is a good alternative to
> Amaya. I have take a check and a think that it is. Maybe is time to say
> bye Amaya.
I abandoned KompoZer due to the non-breaking space syndrome.
(Non-breaking space is U+a0 in XML,   in old-fashioned HTML.) HTML
considers many spaces as one space (rendering devices should display one
space). Naive writers want to simply push the space bar many times to
make more space. KompoZer helps them by putting non-breaking spaces
before the first one, so that more spaces are effectively displayed. The
problem is: to insert a word (say: word) between two others (say: wordA
wordB), you begin by a space after wordA; this makes two spaces and the
first becomes a non-breaking space as wordA# wordB (if # represents the
non-breaking space in this post); you go on typing word and you
eventually get wordA#word wordB. Now non-breaking space are a precious
thing: if you refer to some p. 19 in a book, you do not want to end a
line with p. and begin the next with 19. (And in French we use a lot of
them, inside « » and before : ; ? !) But an unwanted non-breaking space
between two words may give a terrible display (especially with long words).
I do not know if recent versions of KompoZer still behave like this.
NVU was the successor or the Composer component of the Mozilla suite.
There is still a Composer function in SeaMonkey. KompoZer is a fork from
NVU when the author of NVU stopped. The author of NVU now comes out with
BlueGriffon. I did not try it yet.
I posted a few days ago some critical observations about Amaya, but it
is perfectly possible that Amaya is still the strongest free WYSIWYG
editor and that the others are good too but with fewer functionalities,
so that «advanced» users should best stick to Amaya.