Re: More about Makebook feature in Amaya

From: Helder Magalh„es <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:43:59 +0000
To: Bill Braun <bbraun@hlthsys.com>
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
Hi Bill,

(me)
>> I'm guessing you are following the instructions [1] in the manual...? ;-)
(Bill)
> I take great umbrage at anyone who implies that reading the instructions is
> somehow my responsibility <g>.

While as a user I understand you but, maybe not quite as a developer:
the fact is that approximately 80% [1] of reported bugs are "solved"
by reading the user manual. Naturally, I guess we all agree that
applications should be intuitive enough (to dismiss documentation in
most common use-cases) and that documentation should be as
clear/simple as possible. ;-)

> I too have tried to use the Makebook feature with the same results. If there
> is a sequence of steps, why not program them into the Makebook menu item and
> guide the user through a set of dialogue boxes, the end of which is the
> book, already made.

Some of the steps don't appear to be prone to automation (easily, at
least, and IMO). I'd defy one to rework this lack of
documentation/automation into a feature request or a (precise)
proposal to improve the current behavior! :-)

Finally, I'd also invite the Amaya team to comment a bit on this (even
if no feature request/improvement proposal arises). ;-)

Cheers,
 Helder

[1] Warning: completely unscientific measures, based in own experience
only. Didn't attempt to crawl for trustful statistical data. :-p