Re: Encoding and validation

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:49:50 +0900
To: Bill Braun <bbraun@hlthsys.com>
CC: www-amaya <www-amaya@w3.org>
Hello Bill,

As a general advice, setting your server so that it serves an HTTP
header with charset=utf-8, and then only uploading utf-8 content, and
streamlining all your production to utf-8, is considered a good thing
these days, in many if not most cases. (I do the same since for about 5
years now with my own server.)

However, while such a setup is good for production, it's not good for
testing e.g. various different encodings. For that case, you have to set
up a separate server, or some specific directory of a server, and mostly
hand-tune the settings to make sure your tests aren't affected by
external factors.

Regards,    Martin.