Re: "Too many Redirects".

From: Hugh Sasse <hgs@dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:12:20 +0000 (GMT)
To: Laurent Carcone <carcone@w3.org>

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009, Laurent Carcone wrote:

> Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Laurent Carcone wrote:
        [...]
> > The part of the spec that I quoted suggests to me that there should be.
> > Who maintains the library?  I seem to recall that the linemode browser
> > which was part of the library is no longer maintained.
> >
> Indeed, the libwww is no longer maintained
>

> > > So , there is no way in the current version to dynamically change this
> > > maximum.
> > >

> > What about future versions of Amaya?  == Are you giving this the status
> > of WONTFIX?
> >

> I guess we won't change the maximum of redirects defined in Amaya
> initialization.

Does this leave room for the user to change the setting later?

> Can you give us a uri so that we can test the number of redirections needed in
> this case ?

I've only been using Amaya again because I was trying to debug a problem,
so have not run into this enough to supply a URL accessible to you.
The URL I had problems with is a) internal to the university, and probably
inaccessible from outside, and b) fails after a login.  Clearly I can't
give you my login.  Isn't it possible to setup a group of pages with >6
redirects on a local server to replicate this?

> > > I guess it's the first report on this problem, the mail you pointed out
> > > concerns a redirection problem for the PUT method and I think it has been
> > > fixed.
> > >

> > Would redirect code be so different for put and post that it would not be
> > shared?  What causes you to think it has been fixed -- can you look it up,
> > or is this from memory?
> >

> The problem was in Amaya code (when Amaya treats the result of the request),
> not in the libwww, and it has been fixed.

OK, thanks.

> Thanks,
> Laurent Carcone

        Hugh