Re: [Announce] Amaya bug tracking service open

From: Helder Magalhães <helder.magalhaes@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 02:43:28 +0100
To: Irene.Vatton@inria.fr
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org, www-amaya-dev <www-amaya-dev@w3.org>

> A Bug Tracking Service is now available.

I'm very happy that the Amaya team has decided to take all input from
the community (regarding the setup of a bug tracker tool) into
consideration. :-)

> When you register a bug report please check you give following
> information:
>  o The version number
>  o The category or component: Building, CSS, Editing, MathML, Misc,
>   Publishing, SVG, UI, XML
>  o The platform
>  o The bug severity
>  o A description of the bug: what part of the document is not correctly
>   display, what CSS selector is not correctly interpreted, etc.
>  o If possible an example we can use to reproduce the bug
>  o If possible the scenario

Somehow related with the item "example we can use to reproduce": I'd
like to highlight a generally simple and very helpful reduction
tutorial [1] which may help clarifying the two last items in the list.

It would be interesting that guidelines for reporting bugs (I
particularly liked an interesting one [2]) were acknowledged to the
community, maybe by placing a link in the bug report page of Amaya
[3].

Finally, I'd just like to take this opportunity to highlight an
important aspect about bug trackers and bug reporting in general:
information and good sense are true helpers. If reporters aren't able
to provide quality bug reports [2] (usually due to lack of
information), then the bug tracker may be come unmanageable in the
long run. For (somehow off-list but) interesting information on how
bug trackers are not always as effective as expected, I particularly
like the this particular post [4] and following debate between Gérard
Talbot and Shelley Powers within the IEBlog [5] - which may help the
Amaya development team to avoid some known caveats. ;-)

> To list what bugs are already reported and what bugs are fixed:
> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?product=Amaya

Can't wait to file a few minor issues I've been harvesting (who didn't
deserve such bold attention as creating a new mailing list thread).
;-)

Hope this helps,

 Helder Magalhães

[1] http://webkit.org/quality/reduction.html