WORKAROUND Re: BUG: £ converted into £,   converted into ~

Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
 > John Stumbles wrote:
 >> What puzzles me is that this looks like behaviour designed-in to
 >> Amaya, and I'm wondering what it could possibly be designed to acheive?
 >
 > My guess is economy and readability. If the character encoding you're
 > saving as supports £ then there are less bytes and the code is more
 > readable if the real character is used. (Readability is obviously an
 > unpersuasive argument when it comes to special space characters however.)

Hoookayyy, looks like my documents are in 8859-1:

?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<head>
charset=iso-8859-1" />

If I change that to UTF-8 then Amaya replaces my &pound; with £ (I
assume that's a representation of a UTF character which shows up in
Amaya source view as a character like a capital A with a circumflex or
caret ^ mark over it followed by a £ pound symbol).

That renders correctly on my browsers.

It also seems to make spacing work properly: Amaya still changes &nbsp;
to what seems to be a real plain space, represented by '~' in source
view, but that now renders correctly on my browsers.

(In an earlier) message Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:

> 2. Having your HTML document declare its character set with a HTTP
> header equivalent in a META element:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.2.2

That's under my control

> 3. Most importantly, if the document is being served by a webserver, you
> must ensure your server declares the character set of the HTML document
> with a real HTTP content-type header when it serves it:
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset

That unfortunately is not.

Ironically it was with my own local Apache that I was getting
incorrectly-rendered characters, and with the paid-for server it seemed
to be displaying correctly even with ISO-8859-1 encoding.

I still think it's a bug that Amaya changes characters one has entered
by hand without warning.

--
John Stumbles                                       http://yaph.org.uk