Re: libwww blocked

On Wed, January 2, 2008 11:02, Urs Holzer wrote:
> They want to prevent bots from harvesting email adresses and flooding
> publicly editable resoures such as wiki sites. Perhaps the people who
> write those bots use libwww (because it is really easy to use) and
> don't care about the user agent header.

Actually, wouldn't it be better to try and move away from libwww ? It
looks pretty much unmaintained upstream, with the last official release
over 5 years old and the last CVS commit 13 months ago.

>From a Debian perspective, only 4 packages still use libwww, and its
current maintainer announced his intention to ask for removal from the
archive. His advice is to switch to libcurl, which seems to provide a much
nicer to use API and is actively maintained. Obviously I am willing to do
some work on this and provide patches. I might do it anyway for the debian
package...

Any comment ?

Regis