More problems with Tools

I've done a bit more experimenting with the new tools features.  Here's
what happens on a Mac:

In order to change the Toolbar settings (from Align Left to Customize or
vice versa) I have to close and restart Amaya.  Hitting "Apply" in the
preferences pane does not actually "apply" my choice until after I close
and restart the program.  Why?

Similarly, the customizable toolbar seems to have trouble "remembering"
what I choose.  As far as I can tell, it only remembers what I check (or
uncheck) in the drop down menu.  If I close any of the tool palettes
using their own little x button, Amaya remembers my choice during a
session (and maintains it when I use F8), but the closed palette
reappears the next time I open the program.  Is this intentional?

Under customizable tools, when I check or uncheck a particular tool, its
palette flashes four times while appearing or disappearing.  Is it
supposed to do that?

If all of the above behaviors are intentional, please let me know.  They
don't match the behavior of toolbars in other programs I use, so this
behavior doesn't seem very intuitive to me . . .

Thanks for your help,
Lucinda

--
Lucinda DeWitt