Re: accented characters

Hi,

This is not a bug. This is because your document is encoded in UTF-8
or ISO-9959-1, I suspect. You can check in Amaya with command
File/Document_info (Charset), or with the <meta> element in the
source view.

When saving a document, Amaya encodes it according to the chosen
Charset. You can change the Charset when saving a document: use
the File/Save_as command. The dialog box offers you a selector for
changing the Charset.

Character entities like &egrave; are generated only with the Charset
us-ascii, because characters with diacritic marks do not exist in this
encoding. When they are available in the chosen charset, they are
just saved as a single character. This is more compact and more
readable. If you really need an ASCII encoded file, say so when
saving the document.

But who needs ASCII encoded documents nowadays?

Vincent.

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:37:28 +0100 Lorenzo Bettini <bettini@dsi.unifi.it> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I noticed that while using the wysiwyg editor, accented characters such
> as è are not correctly translated in the html &egrave;
>
> this can be done manually by using the source view.
>
> the problem is that, once you inserted the html code &egrave; and you
> switch to the wysiwyg view and you save your document again, all the
> manually inserted codes &egrave; are once again replaced with è.
>
> Is this a known bug?
>
> thanks in advance
> 	Lorenzo
>
> --
> Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
> ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
> HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it MUSIC: http://www.purplesucker.com
> BLOGS: http://tronprog.blogspot.com  http://longlivemusic.blogspot.com
> http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhône-Alpes
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@inria.fr      655 avenue de l'Europe
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             38334 Saint Ismier Cedex
                                    France