Re: <object> audio broken for html & SVG

On 24/01/2007, at 8:51 PM, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> <object> audio broken for html & SVG
>
> '''

> the specs don't appear to require parameters, and in webkit audio
> plays fine in html version.
> however they enable amaya, please could someone provide an example?

Embedding audio is still a "grey area"
The problem appears to be the way different browsers handle it,
means you have to present a mangled markup to satisfy the
majority of your audience.

Some not will not correctly interpret parameters in <object>,
some insist on particular parameters.
Some insist that <object> also contain <embed> and will
work correctly only if the <embed> attributes are the same
as what the <object> parameters should have been. This then
causes your page to fail W3C validation.

Webkit/gecko based browsers seem to be the best at handling this,
if you simply present your audio as html on the page, or
<a>xxxx://host.path.file.zzz</a>
xxxx is the protocol, zzz is the file type.
The RFC requests an intelligent browser to hand off any
such url it does not understand to a helper application.
Webkit does. Unfortunately the "most popular" browser (IE)
is also the least intelligent...

Apple has a useful page on embedding QuickTime, including
embedding sound and movies in poster pictures, which
satisfies a majority of browsers, and fails w3c validation :-(

I confess this has discouraged me from pursuing svg...

peterk