Re: [www-amaya] <none>

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:12:06 -0000, Christian Ræbild <craebild@parknet.dk>
wrote:

> On 18-02-2006 03:23, Kade Hansson wrote:
>

>> Lars Bruzelius wrote:
>>
>>> 17-02-2006 which is incorrect. In this case Amaya should pick up the
>>> preferred format from the system preferences, i.e. in this case
>>> yyyy-mm-dd. Why the Amaya team chose the dd-mm-yyyy format for the
>>> non-ISO 8601 format is beyond me.
>>
>> I believe it is because CVS (a commonly used version control system)
>> uses this format for its date stamps.
>>
>> The ISO format feature was added because (naturally) some people don't
>> use CVS, and they wanted a more "useful" format. (I would argue that
>> both ways are equally useful, it's just that Americans and the Japanese
>> prefer to mix things up. Their prerogative, I suppose.)
>>
>> Archer
>>
>> End.
>>

> I don't know about the japanese, but the common US date format is
> MM-DD-YYYY, which does not match either of the formats used by Amaya.
>
> Most or all european countries use the date format DD-MM-YYYY, so that
> might be why the Amaya developers (and the developers of CVS) chose that
> format. Some of the Amaya developers are from europe, after all.

I don't know whether it's of much interest but for centuries the Chinese,
Japanese and Koreans have used a "big-to-small"
system not only for dates but for addresses and names, so reign period or
cyclical YY (now YYYY in China and Korea, but Japan retains the period
+ YY for some purposes) (M)M > (D)D, City > district > street > ... > ...,
and surname > personal name.

Christopher

--
christopher@cechinatrans.demon.co.uk